Thursday, November 23, 2006

3g UMTS data connectivity -- fast!

I just got my 3g UMTS data connection working, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the speed. Unlike older technology, it really enables e-mailing and some browsing effectively, anywhere.

I've found one problem with how Windows Mobile (at least on the TyTN) handles the interplay between 3g and Wi-Fi: I haven't found any way to specify that the TyTN should try Wi-Fi first and then 3g whenever Wi-Fi is available. What I'd really like is to be able to specify specific Wi-Fi networks that should be higher priority than 3g, such as my own home network.

But instead, the TyTN works like this: If I want to use Wi-Fi, I have to connect explicitly. If I've connected to Wi-Fi, all programs automatically use it. But if Wi-Fi isn't connected, and a program tries to access the network, the TyTN connects using 3g. (I assume this isn't a TyTN thing, rather a Windows Mobile thing.)

If anyone knows of a solution to this, please post it as a comment. It's not such a big deal to connect Wi-Fi before using it, this is really just a nitpick. But it would be nice for the device to do the right thing without my having to do it explicitly, especially since I think it's a common need.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Other than that, I've very impressed with the 3g data connectivity. I'll write later after I've tried Skype or other things specifically on the 3g connection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I just got 3g working on my TyTN and was not sure which connection has priority when connecting to the net. How did you find this out? Do you know where is this setting is specified (maybe in the registry)?

As for your question I can't say I have an answer, but thanks for the info anyway.

Peter

Anonymous said...

I spent hours looking for a solution to this problem myself, and found one in the power management settings.

Start -> Settings -> Connection -> Wireless LAN -> Power Mode

Change the Power Save Mode slider to "Best Performance," and uncheck the "Auto turn off WLAN" box. Now your TyTN will auto-connect to WiFi on startup, and will always use WiFi if it's available. Battery life may suffer a bit, though.